Wednesday 22 May 2013

How We Killed 20-Year-Old At Bayelsa Checkpoint – Ex-Policemen



One of the three dismissed policemen, standing trial for the killing of a 20-year-old Emmanuel Victor, at a checkpoint in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, has given an account of how they murdered Victor.
Victor was allegedly killed on October 16, 2011, in the presence of his mother, who tried in vain to stop the policeman from killing her son.
After the shooting, the police were said to have removed a copy of the Bible he held in his hand and replaced it with a pair of scissors.
He was allegedly killed for condemning extortion and bribery at the checkpoint.
But Lucky Oberemelu, who was cross-examined at the Nembe High Court, Yenagoa on Tuesday, said the late Victor, who left the Christ Embassy church service on the fateful Sunday, attacked them first with scissors.
The suspect, who was the leader of the police team, caused a stir in the courtroom when he painted a picture of the late Victor as a superman, who almost disarmed the policemen with scissors.
He said he accosted Victor first but instead of the youngster to run, Victor came after him with scissors.
He said, “I thought he (Victor) was going to run away but to my surprise, he brought out a pair of scissors and stabbed me on my right hand. I struggled with the injured and bleeding right hand.
“At that time, I was holding my smoke gunner with my left hand; he still used the same scissors and stabbed me on my left hand. Then, the smoke gunner fell down from me.”
He said as he suffered from the pains inflicted on him by Victor, he (Victor) picked his smoke gunner from the ground and smashed it.
He stated further, “At that point, l discovered that my life was in danger. I took to my heels. He pursued me and stabbed me on my back with the same scissors which caused me serious harm.
“At that point other members of the team advanced to rescue me.”
The accused person, who said he had served the police in the state for 15 years, said only three of them were in the team at the checkpoint.
But Justice Lucky Boufili adjourned the matter to June 11 for further cross-examination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

help desk software